We can make a difference in this great state of Texas by becoming more energy efficient. Conserving energy decreases environmental pollution and can help save you money. Approximately one-third of your home electrical bill is spent on wasted energy while utility prices continue to rise.
As we know, the weather in Texas can change in a minute! Whether it is winter or summer, there are many things you can do year-round to reduce your energy usage.
Heating & Cooling Tips
- Install a programmable thermostat – for maximum efficiency, set it at 78°F in summer and 68°F in winter.
- Use curtains or shades to block the sun and heat when hot and open them in colder months to allow the sun to warm up your home.
- Lower the thermostat on the hot water heater to 120°F.
- Replace air filters every 3 months – dirty filters can make your system work harder.
- Check your ducts for leaks and seal them with mastic tape if needed; this will help save on cooling costs.
- When shopping for appliances, look for energy efficient appliances that are designed to use less energy and water than standard models.
- Refrigerators and freezers are designed to operate most efficiently when full, so try to keep them as full as possible.
- Save water and electricity by running the dishwasher and washing machine only when full.
- Wash clothes in warm and cold water to use 80-85% less energy compared to hot water.
Home Maintenance & Electricity
- Replace light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs); CFLs use 75% less electricity and produce 90% less heat.
- Turn off the lights when leaving the room for more than 10 minutes.
- Use smart power strips that automatically turn off when idle.
- Take short showers rather than baths.
Making your home more energy efficient can offer a return of at least 10% yearly on your investment in energy savings. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can reduce your energy bill up to 25% by decreasing the amount of wasted energy.
Are you in the market for a new home in Collin County? The Fejeran Group serves the North Dallas area including Plano, Frisco, Allen, Prosper, McKinney, Garland, Van Alstyne and Sherman. Contact me to find out how we can help you reach your goals!